Saturday, June 18, 2011

Vodafone USB Modem on Ubuntu 10.10

[Note: I also tried the following commands/steps on Ubuntu 11.04 from a virtual machine, but could not test the hardware. You can give it a try]


As mentioned here, the last driver for Vodafone USB modem on Ubuntu is for Ubuntu 10.04, and it is a beta version. I still gave these steps a try on Ubuntu 10.10 and hoped it worked (and it did).

I had to go through two ways to run the USB modem.

Way #1:

1- Install the dependencies as mentioned on website, except for python-gnome2-extras (which is not available). And also two important drivers.

sudo apt-get install wvdial hal python-twisted python-serial python-sqlite python-tz python-gobject python-dbus python-cairo python-crypto python-gtk2 python-gnome2  lsb-release python-glade2
sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch ozerocdoff

2- Download the Vodafone USB Connect folder from this link.

3- Uncompress the package and install it.
[assuming I downloaded it in /tmp]
cd /tmp
tar xvfz Ubuntu.tgz
cd ./Ubuntu
sudo dpkg -i vodafone-mobile-connect_2.20.01-1_all.deb

4- Run the application from the terminal with the command
vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux
or from the Applications/Internet menu.









Way #2:

After trying this and working with it, I had today the following problem: the USB modem was not recognized, and did not want to get recognized for a while (but after a couple of hours I tried again and worked fine).


So I tried to search for another solution and found that option from the connections icon to "Set up a Mobile Broadband Connection"




[as far as I know, the plans are: Contract,Prepaid]


But this way does not give me the options I use like: Usage, Speed, SMS.



This was all my experience with Vodafone USB Modem on Ubuntu 10.10. I hope it helps.

2 comments: